Lisa Anne Smith
LISA ANNE SMITH is the Managing Shareholder in the Tucson office. Her practice emphasizes education law, employment law and civil litigation. She is comfortable in the courtroom and has extensive trial experience in state and federal court and has represented parties in numerous administrative hearings and appellate proceedings. Ms. Smith’s litigation experience includes, but is not limited to, employment and discrimination claims, contract disputes, condemnation and construction matters and tort litigation. She also advises clients on employment issues and defends employers from claims of discrimination filed with the Arizona Attorney General’s Office and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
Ms. Smith graduated magna cum laude from Wellesley College with a B.A. in architecture and philosophy. She received her J.D. in 1995 from the University of Arizona College of Law, where she graduated second in her class. Before practicing law, Ms. Smith taught several philosophy classes at the University of Arizona.
- Arizona (1995)
- B.A., magna cum laude, architecture and philosophy, Wellesley College (1989)
- J.D., second in class, University of Arizona College of Law (1995)
- Graduate fellowship recipient, University of Arizona College of Law (1992-1994)
- Member, editorial board, Arizona Law Review
- Special mention for obtaining the second highest score on the Arizona bar exam
- Member, State Bar of Arizona
- Member, Arizona Council of School Attorneys
- Frequent presenter on various topics at the Arizona School Boards Association’s Law Conference since 2005
- Presenter, First Amendment topics, Arizona School Administrators’ annual Principal and the Law Conference and Arizona Charter Schools conferences in 2011 and 2012
- Defenders of Wildlife v. Bernal, 204 F.3d 920 (9th Cir. 2000)
- Taylor v. Graham County Chamber of Commerce, 201 Ariz. 184 (App. 2001)
- Tanque Verde Unified School District No. 13 v. Bemini, 206 Ariz. 200 (App. 2003)