Peter B. Goldman
I practice Intellectual Property Law (IP). My practice is national and includes patent and IP litigation in technology-driven fields.
My focus is start-up and science-directed clients as well as a specialty practice in vineyard, brewery and distillery law.
I am a registered patent attorney but I do much more than write patents. I work in concert with my clients to create value. I advise them on how best to match their long-term goals with the realities of the marketplace. My goal for my clients is to keep them in the marketplace and out of the courts.
Social justice matters to me. I devote a significant amount of pro bono time to these issues.
My interests are books, Southwest indigenous textiles, especially Navajo weavings, and Wabanaki basket weaving. I am an avid cyclist and hiker.
- Harvard University Frederick Sheldon Fellow
- Guggenheim Fellow
- Former Professor of Honors and Interdisciplinary Studies, Syracuse University
Bilingual Spanish, English
- Emseal Joint Systems, Ltd, v. MM Systems Corp., Case 2018-1982 (U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit). Lead counsel for Appellee MM Systems.
- Clim-A-Tech Industries, Inc. v. Wm. A. Ebert, Case IPR2017-01863 (U.S. Patent Office, Patent Trial and Appeal Board). Lead counsel for Bill Ebert. See Decision Denying Institution of Inter PartesReview, Paper 13, February 12, 2018.
- Clim-A-Tech Industries Inc. v. Wm. A. Ebert and Sunwest Supply Co., Case No. 2:15-cv-00873-GMS (D. Ariz.). Lead counsel for Bill Ebert and Sunwest Supply Co. See Claim Construction Order, Doc. 109, March 7, 2018.
- Emseal Joint Systems, Ltd, v. MM Systems Corp., Case 1:14-cv-14706-RWZ (D. Mass.), lead counsel for Defendant MM Systems. See Claim Construction Order, Doc. 109, March 1, 2017.
- Hammelman Wines LLC dba Sand-Reckoner Vineyards v. Aridus Wine Company, Case No. cv201500026 (Superior Court of Arizona, Cochise County) and Aridus Wine Company LLC v. Robert Hammelman, Case No. cv 2015-003926 (Superior Court of Arizona, Maricopa County). Lead counsel for Sand-Reckoner Vineyards and Rob Hammelman.
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- States of Arizona, Maine, and New York
- United States District Courts of Arizona, Maine and the Eastern and Southern Districts of New York
- United States Courts of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit and the Federal Circuit
- University of Arizona College of Law, J.D.
- Harvard University, Ph.D., Romance Languages and Literatures
- Dartmouth College, A.B., Biology
HONORS AND AWARDS (SELECTED)
- Harvard University Frederick Sheldon Fellow
- Fellow, John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation
- Fulbright Fellow (twice)
- National Endowment for the Humanities, Fellowship (twice)
- University Scholar in Literature and History for the Graduate Division, UCLA
- Andrew Mellon Distinguished Visiting Professor of the Humanities, Lafayette College
- Distinguished Visiting Professor of the Humanities, University of Puerto Rico
- Dartmouth College Reynolds Scholar
- Research Fellow, Dartmouth Medical School
- Spanish National Archives, Madrid, Guest Research Scholar in Residence
- National Task Force on Latin America and the Caribbean, Member. Wartime observation unit in Costa Rica and, principally, Nicaragua
- Thirty plus essays and two books as well as numerous book reviews. Three of the essays were award winning in international competitions.
- Maine Community Law Center, Member of the Board of Directors
- Adjunct Professor of Law, University of Arizona College of Law
- Gallup Inter-Tribal Indian Ceremonial, Judge, Textile Division
- Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), pro bono legal and documentation counsel
- Member of the State Bars of Arizona, Maine and New York
- Arizona Wine Growers Association, Member
- Modern Language Society of America, Member
- Marketplace Distinction: Trademark Law, Branding and Standing Out, Seminar on Brewery and Distillery Law, National Business Institute. February 2017
- Business Planning for Startups, University of Arizona College of Law. Spring semesters 2015, 2016, 2017
- Crow Canyon Archaeological Center, Cultural Explorations Program, Guest Speaker: Southwestern Tapestries. June 2016
- Protecting Your Investment: Branding and Brand Identity, Trademarks and Copyright Law, Seminar on Vineyard and Winery Law, National Business Institute. February 2016
- State Bar of Arizona, Course on Professionalism and Ethics (with Steven L. Bossé): Attorney-Client Relations. October 2014, 2015, 2016
- Crow Canyon Archaeological Center, Cultural Explorations Program, Guest Speaker: A Collector’s Itinerary – Southwestern Textiles 101. June 2015
- State Bar of Arizona, Business Section, Who Owns the IP? The Boss Who Paid for It or the Employee or Contractor Who Created It? November 2014
- Arizona Winegrowers Association, Wine Industry Boot Camp: Staying Legal: Protecting Your Intellectual Property; Legal Issues Related to Your Winery and Vineyard Operation. April 2014
- State Bar of Arizona, Business Section, When Patentees Come Calling: The Reasonable Businessperson’s Response to Patent Notice and Infringement Letters. March 2014
- Arizona Winegrowers Association, Building Your Brand: Developing, Maintaining and Growing Your Winery Brand. March 2014