Peter B. Goldman
I practice both commercial and intellectual property law (IP).
My work in commercial law focuses on startups. I work with established businesses too. I try to help entrepreneurs turn good ideas into self-sustaining businesses.
IP helps give a business its competitive edge. IP can be a food recipe, a new strain of crop seed, the shape of a wine bottle, the layout of a retail store – think Apple – or a special formula of livestock feed. IP is definitely not just for high-tech businesses though I represent them too.
I am a registered patent attorney but I do much more than write patents. I work in concert with my clients to create value. I advise them on how best to match their long-term goals with the realities of the marketplace. My goal for my clients is to keep them in the marketplace and out of the courts.
Social justice matters to me. I devote a significant amount of pro bono time to these issues, most recently on behalf of victims of domestic abuse.
My interests are books, indigenous woven art from the Southwest, especially Navajo blankets, and from the Northeast, especially Wabanaki baskets. I am an avid cyclist and hiker.
- Harvard University Frederick Sheldon Fellow
- Guggenheim Fellow
- Former Professor of Honors and Interdisciplinary Studies, Syracuse University
Bilingual Spanish, English
- Tyler McFarland v. Malinda McFarland, Case LEWDC-PA-2019- 472 (Maine District Court, Androscoggin County), See Order of Dismissal with Prejudice, September 13, 2019.
- Emseal Joint Systems, Ltd, v. MM Systems Corp., Case 2018-1982 (U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit). Lead counsel for Appellee MM Systems. See Order of Dismissal, Doc. 48, February 26, 2019.
- Emseal Joint Systems, Ltd, v. MM Systems Corp., Case 1:14-cv-14706-RWZ (D. Mass.). Lead counsel for Defendant MM Systems. See Judgment of Non-Infringement, Doc. 163, April 18, 2018.
- Clim-A-Tech Industries Inc. v. Wm. A. Ebert and Sunwest Supply Co., Case No. 2:15-cv-00873-GMS (D. Ariz.). Lead counsel for Bill Ebert and Sunwest Supply Co. See Claim Construction Order, Doc. 109, March 7, 2018.
- Clim-A-Tech Industries, Inc. v. Wm. A. Ebert, Case IPR2017-01863 (U.S. Patent Office, Patent Trial and Appeal Board). Lead counsel for Bill Ebert. See Decision Denying Institution of Inter Partes Review, Paper 13, February 12, 2018.
- Hammelman Wines LLC dba Sand-Reckoner Vineyards v. Aridus Wine Company, Case No. cv201500026 (Superior Court of Arizona, Cochise County) and Aridus Wine Company LLC v. Robert Hammelman, Case No. cv 2015-003926 (Superior Court of Arizona, Maricopa County). Lead counsel for Sand-Reckoner Vineyards and Rob Hammelman.
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- States of Arizona, Maine, and New York
- United States District Courts of Arizona, Maine and the Eastern and Southern Districts of New York
- United States Courts of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit and the Federal Circuit
- University of Arizona College of Law, J.D.
- Harvard University, Ph.D., Romance Languages and Literatures
- Dartmouth College, A.B., Biology
HONORS AND AWARDS (SELECTED)
- Harvard University Frederick Sheldon Fellow
- Fellow, John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation
- Fulbright Fellow (twice)
- National Endowment for the Humanities, Fellowship (twice)
- University Scholar in Literature and History for the Graduate Division, UCLA
- Andrew Mellon Distinguished Visiting Professor of the Humanities, Lafayette College
- Distinguished Visiting Professor of the Humanities, University of Puerto Rico
- Dartmouth College Reynolds Scholar
- Research Fellow, Dartmouth Medical School
- Spanish National Archives, Madrid, Guest Research Scholar in Residence
- National Task Force on Latin America and the Caribbean, Member. Wartime observation unit in Costa Rica and, principally, Nicaragua
- Thirty plus essays and two books as well as numerous book reviews. Three of the essays were award winning in international competitions.
- Maine Community Law Center, Board of Directors
- Indigo Arts Alliance, Governance Committee; Circle of Advisors
- Maine Volunteer Lawyers Project, Portland Domestic Violence Panel
- Adjunct Professor of Law, University of Arizona College of Law
- Gallup Inter-Tribal Ceremonial, Judge, Textile Division
- Maine Initiatives, Proposal Reader
- Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), pro bono legal and documentation counsel
- Member of the State Bars of Arizona, Maine and New York
- Arizona Wine Growers Association, Member
- Modern Language Society of America, Member
- Intellectual Property for Startups. McGuire Center for Entrepreneurship, Eller College of Management, University of Arizona, April 2020
- Client Management: What to Do When the Client Asks You to Cross Ethical Boundaries, Maine Community Law Center. October 25, 2019
- Marketplace Distinction: Trademark Law, Branding and Standing Out, Seminar on Brewery and Distillery Law, National Business Institute. February 2017
- Business Planning for Startups, University of Arizona College of Law. Spring semesters 2015, 2016, 2017
- State Bar of Arizona, Business Section, Who Owns the IP? The Boss Who Paid for It or the Employee or Contractor Who Created It? November 2016
- Crow Canyon Archaeological Center, Cultural Explorations Program, Guest Speaker: Southwestern Tapestries. June 2016
- State Bar of Arizona, Business Section, The Reasonable Businessperson’s Response to Trademark and Patent Notice and Infringement Letters. March 2016
- Protecting Your Investment: Branding and Brand Identity, Trademarks and Copyright Law, Seminar on Vineyard and Winery Law, National Business Institute. February 2016
- State Bar of Arizona, Course on Professionalism and Ethics (with Steven L. Bossé): Attorney-Client Relations. October 2014, 2015, 2016
- Crow Canyon Archaeological Center, Cultural Explorations Program, Guest Speaker: A Collector’s Itinerary – Southwestern Textiles 101. June 2015