Sesaly O. Stamps
SESALY O. STAMPS s a Shareholder in the Tucson office of DeConcini McDonald Yetwin & Lacy, P.C. Her practice emphasizes education law and employment law.
Ms. Stamps provides legal representation to school districts, community colleges, employers and other public entities involving day-to-day advice on a variety of issues including personnel questions, policy matters, contractual disputes and student issues. She has successfully defended against discrimination complaints filed with the Arizona Civil Rights Division and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. Ms. Stamps also provides training to employers and schools on a range of issues such as how to prevent and address sexual harassment and other forms of discrimination in the workplace and how to deal with online bullying and other social media challenges and how to conduct internal investigations. Ms. Stamps has a range of litigation experience at both the trial and appellate level, representing public and non-profit entities, large corporations, small businesses and individuals. Ms. Stamps volunteers for the employment advice clinics at Step Up 2 Justice and Southern Arizona Legal Aid’s Volunteer Lawyers Program. Ms. Stamps has received numerous awards over the years in recognition of her pro bono service.
Ms. Stamps graduated with honors from the University of Arizona College of Social and Behavioral Sciences. She received her J.D. From the University of Arizona in 2007 James E. Rogers College of Law, graduating magna cum laude and was inducted into the Order of the Coif. While in law school, Ms. Stamps served on the Arizona Law Review editorial board as an Executive Note Editor. She received the Steptoe and Johnson Editor of the Year Award in 2007. After graduation, Ms. Stamps worked as a judicial clerk for the Honorable Joseph W. Howard at the Arizona Court of Appeals, Division Two.
In addition to the State Bar of Arizona, Ms. Stamps is admitted to practice in the Federal District Court of Arizona and the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. Ms. Stamps is a member of the Arizona Council of School Attorneys, the National Council of School Attorneys, the Arizona Bar Association, the Pima County Bar Association, and the Arizona Women Lawyer’s Association.
- Arizona (2007)
- Federal District Court of Arizona (2010)
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals (2010)
Education, Honors, and Awards (Selected)
- B.A., with honors, Women’s Studies, University of Arizona (1999)
- J.D., magna cum laude, University of Arizona College of Law (2007)
- Member, Order of the Coif
- Executive Note Editor, Arizona Law Review
- Steptoe and Johnson Editor of the Year Award recipient (2007)
- Outstanding Pro Bono Attorney of the Month, Volunteer Lawyers Program at Southern Arizona Legal Aid (February 2012)
Professional and Community Activities
- Member, State Bar of Arizona
- Member, Arizona Council of School Attorneys
- Member, Pima County Bar Association
- Member, Arizona Women Lawyers Association
- Member, Arizona School Boards Association
- Pro bono participant, Employment Advice Clinic at Southern Arizona Legal Aid
Articles and Presentations
- “Whose Right is it Anyway?: The Latest Free Speech Controversies in Public Schools,” presented at Arizona Charter School Association Principal & the Law Conference (2012) and at Arizona School Board Association School Law Conference (2011)
- “Employment Law from A to Z,” Lorman Seminars, July 2011
- “Social Media and Smartphones: Legal and Policy Implications,” presented at Arizona School Administrators’ Principals and the Law Conference, November 2013
- “Free Speech and Student Threats of Violence,” presented at Arizona School Board’s Association Law Conference, September 2013
- Empire Southwest LLC v. Ariz. Dep’t of Revenue, 422 P.3d 1082 (Ariz. App. 2018)
- Fisher, Mendoza, et al. v. Tucson Unified School District, 652 F.3d 1131 (9th Cir. 2011)
- Gibbs v. Gibbs, 227 Ariz. 403, 258 P.3d 221 (App. 2011)
- Sysco Arizona, Inc. v. Charles Hoskins, Maricopa County Treasurer; JP Morgan Chase Bank; PNC Equipment Finance, LLC; Colley Construction, LLC, 1CA-CV 13-0487 (June 10, 2014).